Due to COVID-19, Cornell is currently only issuing digital CEU certificates. Please allow 1-4 weeks for processing.
What is a Continuing Education Unit?
A Continuing Education Unit (CEU) is a unit that can be used by professionals who need them for obtaining licenses, professional development, or securing advancements or promotions. Some fields or professions require a threshold number of CEUs to be earned each year. Examples of types of professions that apply CEUs earned on Bird Academy are teachers, educators, government biologists, as well as wildlife and conservation professionals.
Before you try to obtain CEUs, make sure that your employer or professional association will accept them.
Earn CEUs for Your Coursework on Bird Academy
Bird Academy offers its online students the opportunity to earn Continuing Education Units. CEUs are available for any course on Bird Academy by purchasing them for an additional per-course fee. The CEUs you purchase through Bird Academy will be issued by Cornell University’s Continuing Education office in the form of a digital certificate. Please note that CEUs are not the same thing as academic credits from Cornell.
The number of units you earn depends on how many hours we’ve estimated the course should take for an average student. One CEU = 10 hours of coursework. When courses are estimated to take less than 10 hours to complete, students receive a partial CEU (e.g., 4 hours = 0.4 CEUs). The number of CEUs that can be earned for each Bird Academy course are listed in the course catalog.
Handy Tips for Earning CEUs
- Step 1: Purchase one or more of our CEU Add-on product. Each entitles you an official CEU certificate for one passed Bird Academy course. You can choose to purchase the CEU Add-on with your course purchase or at a later time.
- Step 2: View the number of courses that you have purchased CEUs for at Manage CEUs.
- Step 3: Complete a Bird Academy course with a passing score.
- Step 4: Request your CEU certificate by filling out and submitting the form that appears on the course page once you have passed the course.
- Step 5: Receive by email a PDF certification of the CEU credits you earned. These certificates are processed by Cornell University’s School of Continuing Education and may take 1-4 weeks.