Quiz yourself! Which birds are we imitating in the video? (Scroll down to find the answers.)
It’s for me like wearing a comfortable blanket. I feel secure when I know who is singing around me.”
Kathi Borgmann, Cornell Lab Science Writer
How to Identify Bird Song uses a unique teaching approach. Travel North America visiting real soundscapes.
Here they are in order of appearance:
- Mourning Dove
- Northern Cardinal
- Barred Owl
- Eastern Screech Owl
- Asian Koel
- Yellow Warbler—Sweet, sweet, sweet. Isn’t it sweet?
- White-throated Sparrow—Old Sam Peabody Peabody Peabody!
- Olive-sided Flycatcher—Quick three beers!
- Eastern Towhee—Drink your tea!
- Warbling Vireo—I’ll see you and I’ll seize you and I’ll squeeze you ’til you squirt!
Follow the links to hear what each bird really sounds like.
Editor: Chris Foito
Producers: Mya Thompson & Sarah Wagner
Appearances by (in chronological order): Mya Thompson, Michael Huffaker, Marc Devokaitis, Andrew Weber, Ashik Rahaman, Kathi Borgmann